In this episode of the Primary Care Knowledge Boost Podcast Doctors Lisa and Sara talk to Dr Laura Neilson, GP and founder of Hope Citadel who is passionate about tackling Health Inequalities.
Laura talks about the importance of addressing Health Inequalities, what the inverse care law is, and skills that people will find useful working in areas of deprivation.
Together they discuss her projects which include helping create Hope Citadel; a growing group of practices working in areas of deprivation in Manchester, Focused Care; a project that facilitates this, and the Shared Health Foundation. They also discuss what general practice can do to help, and talk about coping with the challenges.
Listen to the podcast episode at https://www.pckb.org/e/health-inequalities-in-general-practice-with-dr-laura-neilson.
- Book: Tackling Causes and Consequences of Health Inequalities: A Practical Guide (2020) Edited By James Matheson, John Patterson, Laura Neilson: https://www.routledge.com/Tackling-Causes-and-Consequences-of-Health-Inequalities-A-Practical-Guide/Matheson-Patterson-Neilson/p/book/9781138499867
- Hope Citadel Resources: https://hopecitadel.org.uk/
- Focused Care (service model to work with the most vulnerable families in communities): https://focusedcare.org.uk/
- The Shared Health Foundation: https://sharedhealthfoundation.org.uk/
- Policy and Advocacy advice from Shared Care Foundation; how to get involved with their projects: https://sharedhealthfoundation.org.uk/policy-and-advocacy/
- Greater Manchester Deprivation GP training programme: https://www.docsindepgpst.org.uk/
- The Marmot Review 10 Years On: https://www.health.org.uk/publications/reports/the-marmot-review-10-years-on?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkt6aBhDKARIsAAyeLJ28cEVgCnGVUAgk9SflEGZnM-Q0iZ76by6yxw7R-T0CktbmSGIqllkaAg9CEALw_wcB
- The Inverse Care Law explained: https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/articles/inverse-care-law
- Lives on the Line: Life Expectancy at Birth & Child Poverty as a Tube Map: https://life.mappinglondon.co.uk/
- All Party Parliamentary Group for improving the lives of people in Temporary Accommodation across England: https://householdsintemporaryaccommodation.co.uk/