In this episode of the Primary Care Knowledge Boost Podcast Drs Sara and Lisa discuss a weight management Quality Improvement initiative with Dr Varshini Rajakulendran and Dr Joanna Bircher.
We hear why Varshini chose this particular project, and the context to it including enablers and barriers. Joanna then helps us break it down further, thinking about the tool used, considering the aim of the project, what was and could be measured and what ideas were implemented and tested during the project.
If you haven’t already, we recommend listening to “An Introduction to Quality Improvement” which provides some great initial theoretical knowledge about QI.
Listen to the podcast episode at https://bit.ly/pckb-qi-example.
- Quality Improvement Resources by the Royal College of General Practitioners:
- RCGP QI Ready: https://qiready.rcgp.org.uk/
- Domains of Healthcare Quality:
- Public Health England National General Practice Profiles:
- GP Patient Survey data: https://www.gp-patient.co.uk/
- Prescribing data: https://openprescribing.net/
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) Model for Improvement: http://www.ihi.org/resources/Pages/HowtoImprove/default.aspx
- The Health Foundation booklet: Quality Improvement made simple, written by Bryan Jones, Esther Kwong and Will Warburton:
- RCGP Quality Improvement Webcast with Dr Joanna Bircher Aug 2019:
- The Q Community Webcast: ‘Can QI help us to match capacity and demand in General Practice with Dr Joanna Bircher’:
- Run Chart Tool: https://www.england.nhs.uk/improvement-hub/wp-content/uploads/sites/44/2017/11/A-guide-to-creating-and-interpreting-run-and-control-charts.pdf