In this episode of the Primary Care Knowledge Boost Podcast, doctors Sara and Lisa talk with consultant psychiatrist, doctor Mark Spurrell about a framework that can be applied to the care of complex patients with multiple problems or difficulties.
This can be useful at times when you feel stuck and are struggling to move forward with a patient. Care may be fragmented, with other care professionals feeling the same. The idea is to use a value based approach involving the whole team to breathe new life into a scenario, create positivity and momentum and build on this to help generate better outcomes for patients that are tailored to their values.
The idea originates from the multidisciplinary (MDT) approach to mental health and is interesting to consider for general practice patients.
Listen to the podcast episode at: pckb.org/e/the-art-of-stuck-cases-a-framework-for-managing-complexity-in-primary-care/
- Spurrell M, Potts L, Shaw A. Framing Value Based Healthcare in Practice: Introducing the Complex Case and Recovery Management Framework (The CCaRM). Int J Integr Care. 2023 Jan 9;23(1):1: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9838237/
- Dr Mark Spurrell website with resources: www.mark-spurrell.com
- Shared Decision Making Summary guide NHS England and NHS Improvement, February 2019: https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/shared-decision-making-summary-guide-v1.pdf
- Royal College of GPs 2016: Collaborative Care and Support Planning: Ready to be a reality: https://elearning.rcgp.org.uk/pluginfile.php/174399/mod_book/chapter/576/RCGP-CCSP-Ready-to-be-a-Reality.pdf
- The Good Lives Model, a strengths-based approach to offender rehabilitation that can be used in other areas: https://www.goodlivesmodel.com/
- Recovery Star – The Outcomes Star for mental health and well-being: https://www.outcomesstar.org.uk/using-the-star/see-the-stars/recovery-star-4/
- NHS examples of survey tools for use in supported self-management: https://www.england.nhs.uk/personalisedcare/supported-self-management/health-system-support-framework-for-supported-self-management/examples-of-survey-tools-for-use-in-supported-self-management/