In this episode of the Primary Care Knowledge Boost Podcast Drs Lisa and Sara welcome Dr Joanna Bircher back to the podcast to speak about an area which she is very passionate about – Quality Improvement.
The group talk about what quality improvement is, how it differs from audits and why it’s so important within general practice. The group learn about the processes that can be followed when approaching quality improvement, and some helpful tools and tips to think about before you start. They hope it’s accessible for all within general practice, and think it provides a great starting point for those considering quality improvement within their setting.
Listen to the podcast episode at https://www.pckb.org/e/an-introduction-to-quality-improvement.
- Quality Improvement Resources by the Royal College of General Practitioners:
- RCGP QI Ready: https://qiready.rcgp.org.uk/
- Domains of Healthcare Quality:
- Public Health England National General Practice Profiles:
- GP Patient Survey data: https://www.gp-patient.co.uk/
- Prescribing data: https://openprescribing.net/
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) Model for Improvement: http://www.ihi.org/resources/Pages/HowtoImprove/default.aspx
- The Health Foundation booklet: Quality Improvement made simple, written by Bryan Jones, Esther Kwong and Will Warburton:
- RCGP Quality Improvement Webcast with Dr Joanna Bircher Aug 2019:
- The Q Community Webcast: ‘Can QI help us to match capacity and demand in General Practice with Dr Joanna Bircher’:
- Run Chart Tool: https://www.england.nhs.uk/improvement-hub/wp-content/uploads/sites/44/2017/11/A-guide-to-creating-and-interpreting-run-and-control-charts.pdf