In this episode of the Primary Care Knowledge Boost Podcast Doctors Lisa and Sara are joined by Diabetes Lead for Manchester CCG GP Dr Marlon Morais and Diabetes Support Lead and Diabetes Specialist Nurse Nicola Milne to discuss diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus.
They discuss the types of Diabetes Mellitus, touching on Maturity-Onset Diabetes of the Young (MODY) and Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA) and get advice on avoiding common pitfalls in making a new diagnosis of Diabetes in General Practice.
They cover the prevalence and importance of this diagnosis, both for patients and the NHS and red flags to look out for. They also discuss impaired fasting glucose and the current management options for this including the NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme.
Listen to the podcast episode at https://www.pckb.org/e/diagnosing-diabetes-mellitus.
- Diabetes UK: types of Diabetes Mellitus explained: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/types-of-diabetes
- WHO Classification of Diabetes Mellitus (2019): https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/classification-of-diabetes-mellitus
- GP Notebook Clinical Classification of Diabetes Mellitus (2021): https://gpnotebook.com/en-gb/simplepage.cfm?ID=-26542064
- What is MODY Maturity-Onset Diabetes of the Young? https://www.diabetesgenes.org/what-is-mody/
- NICE guidelines: When to suspect Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (April 2022): https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/diabetes-type-2/diagnosis/diagnosis-in-adults/
- NICE CKS Guidelines Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus (Nov 2020): https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/diabetes-type-1/
- Language Matters in Diabetes: https://www.england.nhs.uk/publication/language-matters-language-and-diabetes/
- Diabetes UK Information Prescriptions: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/professionals/resources/resources-to-improve-your-clinical-practice/information-prescriptions-qa
- Finish Diabetes Prevention Study (2003): https://diabetesjournals.org/care/article/26/12/3230/21849/The-Finnish-Diabetes-Prevention-Study-DPS
- National Diabetes Prevention Programme: https://www.england.nhs.uk/diabetes/diabetes-prevention/
- Flatbush Diabetes information on GP Notebook: https://gpnotebook.com/en-gb/simplepage.cfm?ID=x20160928141517439169
- Effects of Diet and Exercise in Preventing NIDDM in People With Impaired Glucose Tolerance: The Da Qing IGT and Diabetes Study (Apr 1997): https://diabetesjournals.org/care/article/20/4/537/22408/Effects-of-Diet-and-Exercise-in-Preventing-NIDDM
- The Da Qing IGT and Diabetes Study 30 year follow up: Morbidity and mortality after lifestyle intervention for people with impaired glucose tolerance: 30-year results of the Da Qing Diabetes Prevention Outcome Study. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. Jun 2019: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31036503/
- NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme: Know Your Risk Patient Calculator: https://preventing-diabetes.co.uk/know-your-risk-dtc/