In this episode of the Primary Care Knowledge Boost Podcast Doctors Lisa and Sara speak to Consultant Haematologist Dr Chris Gregory about patients that present with bruising and bleeding issues.
They discuss history, examination and differentials including patterns of bleeding more associated with different causes.
They also cover what constitutes excessive/concerning bleeding and blood test values that would lead to on the day/urgent referrals. At the end of the episode, you will hear our learning points.
Listen to the podcast episode at https://www.pckb.org/e/easy-bruising-and-bleeding.
- Clinical Knowledge Summaries: Bruising (March 2021) https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/bruising/
- BMJ article Survey, Vitamin C deficiency as a cause of bruising https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2511.full
- NICE Suspected Cancer Referrals for Haematological Malignancies (as of Dec 2021) https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng12/chapter/Recommendations-organised-by-site-of-cancer#haematological-cancers
- Greater Manchester Safeguarding Guidelines for Bruising in Non-mobile Children: https://greatermanchesterscb.proceduresonline.com/chapters/pr_bruising_babies_child.html
- British Society for Haematology Guidelines: https://b-s-h.org.uk/guidelines/
- Non UK based Information: American Family Physician Feb 2016 ‘Clinical evaluation of bleeding and bruising in primary care’. Includes a helpful breakdown of normal vs excessive bleeding etc https://www.aafp.org/afp/2016/0215/p279.html