In this episode of the Primary Care Knowledge Boost podcast, doctors Lisa and Sara talk to senior eating disorder practitioners, Vicky McGee and Rachelle Davies, to get their advice on consulting with children and young people who present with features of an eating disorder.
The podcast focuses on the theoretical case of 14-year-old Suzie who presents to the practice, alongside her mum, with mood symptoms, reduced eating and weight loss.
Lisa and Sara use the example of Suzie to guide the discussion around consulting with children and young people and assessing for an eating disorder. They talk about red flags during acute assessment and follow up.
Listen to the podcast episode at pckb.org/e/assessing-a-child-or-young-person-with-a-potential-eating-disorder/
- Medical Emergencies in Eating Disorders: Guidance on Recognition and Management (Updated July 2023 – Traffic Light System Starts, p31): https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/docs/default-source/improving-care/better-mh-policy/college-reports/college-report-cr233-medical-emergencies-in-eating-disorders-(meed)-guidance.pdf?sfvrsn=2d327483_52
- NICE Guidelines Eating Disorders: recognition and treatment (Dec 2020): https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng69/resources/eating-disorders-recognition-and-treatment-pdf-1837582159813
- Royal College of General Practice Eating Disorders E-learning: https://elearning.rcgp.org.uk/enrol/index.php?id=173
- Children and young people with suspected eating disorders: guidelines for primary care professionals (Greater Manchester focus): https://hub.gmintegratedcare.org.uk/mental-health/children-and-young-people-with-suspected-eating-disorders-guidelines-for-primary-care-professionals/
- Eva Musby, a resource for Parents and Clinicians around Anorexia Nervosa: https://anorexiafamily.com/
- Maudsley Model in Eating Disorder Treatment: https://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/blog/maudsley-model-eating-disorder
- Guidelines Summary for Primary Care: Management of Eating Disorders (lists specific types): https://www.medscape.co.uk/viewarticle/eating-disorders-2022a10019oa
- FEAST (Families Empowered And Supporting Treatment for Eating Disorders) Resources for Families: https://www.feast-ed.org/
- Beat Eating Disorders: https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/get-information-and-support/about-eating-disorders/types/