Dr Lisa Adams and Dr Sara MacDermott talk to GP and Professor of General Practice Research Carolyn Chew Graham about Long COVID. This episode aims to help support learning for the new Long-COVID enhanced service that has recently been launched by NHS England. They discuss what Long COVID is, its prevalence, and how to assess and manage those presenting with symptoms of possible Long COVID in primary care. They also talk about the condition in children, Long COVID clinics, and how to support patients on this still very new journey.
Listen to the podcast episode on PodBean at https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-sdh9p-109c765.
- NICE COVID-19 rapid guideline: managing the long-term effects of COVID-19 [NG188] Published: 18 December 2020: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng188
- The Post-hospitalisation COVID-19 study (PHOSP-COVID): https://www.phosp.org/
- British Thoracic Society Resources for the respiratory Community about COVID-19 (includes advice on chest x-rays and COVID): https://www.brit-thoracic.org.uk/covid-19/covid-19-information-for-the-respiratory-community/
- Your COVID recovery resource: https://www.yourcovidrecovery.nhs.uk/app/
- Long COVID SOS support group for patients: https://www.blf.org.uk/support-for-you/long-covid
- UK Doctors with Long COVID Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/479687042869493/
- BJGP Open Article: Finding the ‘right’ GP: a qualitative study of the experiences of people with long-COVID 2020: 4(5) Kingstone T, Taylor AK, O’Donnell CA, Atherton H, Blane DN and Chew-Graham CA: https://bjgpopen.org/content/4/5/bjgpopen20X101143
- Health Expectations Article: ‘Reluctant pioneer’: A qualitative study of doctors’ experiences as patients with long COVID (Mar 2021) Taylor AK, Kingstone T, Briggs TA, O’Donnell CA, Atherton H, Blane DN, Chew-Graham CA: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/hex.13223
- The Royal College of General Practitioners online learning module on Long COVID: https://elearning.rcgp.org.uk/course/view.php?id=492
- Article, The Conversation: Aiyegbus OL, Haroon S, (July 2021) Long COVID: symptoms experienced during infection may predict lasting illness: https://theconversation.com/long-covid-symptoms-experienced-during-infection-may-predict-lasting-illness-164649