In this episode of the Primary Care Knowledge Boost Podcast Doctors Lisa and Sara are joined by Diabetes Lead for Manchester CCG GP Dr Marlon Morais and Diabetes Support Lead and Diabetes Specialist Nurse Nicola Milne to discuss Type 1 diabetes from the GP point of view) before going on to discuss the recent changes to the NICE guidelines for management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.
They cover useful ways of sifting through the options for medicines and the importance of a holistic approach and the NHS low calorie programmes.
Listen to the podcast episode at https://www.pckb.org/e/management-of-diabetes-mellitus-in-primary-care.
- Visual Summary of NICE Guidelines (Feb 2022): https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/resources/visual-summary-full-version-choosing-medicines-for-firstline-and-further-treatment-pdf-10956472093#page=2
- Diabetes UK Emotional Wellbeing Module CPD: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/professionals/training–competencies/courses/emotional-wellbeing-module
- Diabetes on the Net Six Steps to Insulin Safety Module for Healthcare Professionals (based on key recommendations by NICE in 2017): https://diabetesonthenet.com/diabetes-news/six-steps-to-insulin-safety-e-learning-module/
- Trend Diabetes Injection Technique Matters: https://trenddiabetes.online/injection-technique-matters/
- NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Management for Adults: https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/diabetes-type-2/management/management-adults/
- Diabetes in Control, When and When Not to use an SGLT2 Inhibitor (traffic light system): http://www.northoftyneapc.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2021/12/SGLT-2-Top-Tips-V7.pdf
- SGLT2 inhibitors: Indications, doses and licences from Diabetes & Primary Care: https://diabetesonthenet.com/wp-content/uploads/Brown_Need-to-know-SGLT2is.pdf
- Diabetes drugs and renal impairment: Updated GPnotebook Shortcuts (Nov 2021): https://diabetesonthenet.com/journal-diabetes-nursing/diabetes-drugs-and-renal-impairment-updated-gpnotebook-shortcuts/
- Diabetes on the Net At a Glance Factsheets: https://diabetesonthenet.com/tag/at-a-glance-factsheet/
- Diabetes UK: What is a Healthy, Balanced Diet for Diabetes: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/eating-with-diabetes/what-is-a-healthy-balanced-diet
- The DiRECT Trial: Weight Management Interventions in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (informing the Low Calorie Diet Pilots): https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(19)30068-3/fulltext
- Sick Day Rules for Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Leicester: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c2ccb867c93271f5edc9718/t/5ed7a143ee2bfa731b017aac/1591189828264/Sick_Day_Rules_T1_Infographic_V4%5B1438%5D.pdf
- Sick Day Rules for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Leicester:
- NHS Very Low Calorie Diets: https://www.england.nhs.uk/diabetes/treatment-care/low-calorie-diets/https://preventing-diabetes.co.uk/know-your-risk-dtc/