In this episode of the Primary Care Knowledge Boost Podcast Doctors Lisa and Sara speak to Professor Ian Pearce to learn more about overactive bladder and continence issues in women.
They discuss the types of lower urinary tract symptoms in women (drilling down into the definitions of commonly used terms), before looking at the red flags to consider. They then use fictional cases to illustrate how to approach overactive bladder and incontinence in terms of assessment, investigation and management options.
Listen to the podcast episode at https://www.pckb.org/e/overactive-bladder-and-continence-issues-in-women.
- NICE Clinical Knowledge Summary: Urinary incontinence in women: https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/incontinence-urinary-in-women
- Greater Manchester Medicines Management Group (GMMMG) Guidelines for assessment and treatment of overactive bladder in adults: https://gmmmg.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Management-of-OAB-in-adults-v3-0-approved-Aug-2019.pdf
- Conservative management tips: Bladder and Bowel Community UK: https://www.bladderandbowel.org/bladder/bladder-treatments/urinary-tract-infection-treatments
- Guidelines in Practice: Top tips: urinary incontinence in women: https://www.guidelinesinpractice.co.uk/urology/top-tips-urinary-incontinence-in-women/455577.article
- Anticholinergic Burden resource 2: Anticholinergic Burden Calculator: http://www.acbcalc.com