This guide publsihed by the King’s Fund explores shared leadership and what helps to build effective collaborative relationships among health and care professionals, patients, service users, carers and communities.
Download Patients as partners: Building collaborative relationships among professionals, patients, carers and communities
The guide suggests five approaches to developing an effective relationship:
- find your collaborative partner: this, together with identifying funding and a real task to work on, marks the first important stage of beginning a collaborative relationship
- invest in developing leadership and collaborative relationships
- make time for learning: set aside time for reflection, record learning and share that learning with peers and those you hope to influence
- go where the energy is: sometimes this means working under the radar for a while until you are ready to share your results, your approach and your learning
- embed collaborative activity at all levels in your system or organisation.