In this episode of the Primary Care Knowledge Boost Podcast Sara and Lisa welcome GP and Perinatal Mental Health Champion Dr Carrie Ladd and Perinatal Psychiatrist Dr Sarah Jones to discuss types of mental illness that can be experienced in the perinatal period and the challenges in primary care when helping patients and families.
The group discuss types of mental illness that can be experienced in the perinatal period and the challenges in primary care when helping patients and families. They cover tips for addressing these challenges, focusing on communication, resources and managing medications. They also talk about the impact of the pandemic and the Spotlight programme for disseminating perinatal mental health teaching and training trainers.
Listen to the podcast episode at https://www.pckb.org/e/perinatal-mental-health-1641310065.
- RCGP Perinatal Mental Health toolkit: https://www.rcgp.org.uk/clinical-and-research/resources/toolkits/perinatal-mental-health-toolkit.aspx
- Best Use of Medicines in Pregnancy ‘Bumps’ website: https://www.medicinesinpregnancy.org/
- The Lancet Series on Perinatal Mental Health (2014): https://www.thelancet.com/series/perinatal-mental-health
- NICE Guidance on antenatal and postnatal mental health: clinical management and service guidance: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg192
- Proud 2 b Parents Organisation: https://www.proud2bparents.co.uk/
- Dad Matters Organisation: https://dadmatters.org.uk/
- The Dad Pad, advice for new fathers: https://thedadpad.co.uk/
- First 1001 days movement: https://parentinfantfoundation.org.uk/1001-days/
- Action on Postpartum Psychosis Charity: https://www.app-network.org/
- Maternal Mental Health Alliance Charity: https://maternalmentalhealthalliance.org/
- Tommy’s Trust: https://www.tommys.org/
- Maternal OCD Organisation: https://maternalocd.org/