The six principles were developed by the People and Communities Board, in conjunction with the new models of care ‘vanguards’ sites, to give practical support to services as they deliver the ‘new relationship with people and communities;’ set out in NHS England’s Five Year Forward View.
These ‘six principles’ set out the basis of good person-centred, community-focussed health and care.
The six principles require that:
- Care and support is person-centred: personalised, coordinated, and empowering
- Services are created in partnership with citizens and communities
- Focus is on equality and narrowing inequalities
- Carers are identified, supported and involved
- Voluntary, community and social enterprise and housing sectors are involved as key partners and enablers
- Volunteering and social action are recognised as key enablers